Port Service was established in 1957 as a result of the ratification of the convention on protection of the marine environment of 1954. For more than ten years it has been operating as a corporative company for sea services and in 1973 it was transformed into a state-owned company. From the very beginning the major aim of Service was active protection and limitation of water contamination in the Baltic sea which was generated by the operation of shipyards, harbours and harbour infrastructure as well as navigation of Gdańsk and Gdynia.
The area in the industrial-depot-harbour zone where the facilities are located was artificially developed in the site where earlier there was a shore zone of Gdańsk bay. During the construction of North Harbour in 1971-1972, a seawall was built from in north side and the created water space was filled with sediments from new harbour sea areas over time, additionally, forming an embankment with a silting method.
As the first one, on the newly created silt material, a Ballast Water Treatment Plant (OWB) was built in 1974-1979 in cooperation with Italian company Techneco. It was created as the integral part of North Harbour and, next, transferred to be managed by Service. Its primary purpose was collection of water contaminated with fuel-derivate products and petroleum. Currently, it is used mainly as industrial water treatment plant.
The next installations for recovery and neutralisation of hazardous and non-hazardous waste were built successively. On the break of the 70’s and 80’s there were developed: station of physical-chemical disposal of liquid waste (UOP), station of disposal of contaminated grounds and sediments (UZGO) as well as station of recovery and storing waste oils (SOMO). As the last one, a VORTEX installation was built intended for burning waste created in the ballast water treatment plant which was used in this form until the end of 2002.
On 30 September 1991 the enterprise was converted into a limited liability company owned by the State Treasury and in 1996 was transferred to a new owner as a result of acquisition of majority shareholding by German Blum Beteiligungs GmbH from Melle.
One of the first decisions of the new manager was to build a modern station of thermal waste processing (TOO) which allowed for expansion of the range of Service services with disposal of, e.g. solid dangerous waste, including medical waste containing living pathogenic microbes or their toxins. At the same time, Port Service became an import link influencing not only the economy and condition of the environment, but also safety of people living in the Pomeranian Voivodship.
The Thermal Waste Processing Station has been used in its current form since 2003. In 2012-2015 the Company spent 12 million PLN to improve the quality of operation of the incineration plant.A plan of further modifications intended to modernise waste processing methods is developed for which the management board plans to allocate.